Friday 6 February 2009

6.2.09





It goes without saying how incredibly difficult today was for both of us. We woke up this morning and spent time together gaining strength and talking about Theo and all he stood for. The sun was shining and we were sure he was looking down on us sending all the support and love he could. I have no doubt in my mind that Theo was with us every step of the way. At times during the service, I managed to feel peaceful and happy thinking of my beautiful baby who was now at peace and that is a lovely memory to have. I didn't manage to see how full the church was, but I got a real sense of a lot of love and support and I know that carried us through today. It was so comforting to see some familiar and loved faces, and although they looked really sad, it felt nice to know so many people had travelled to be with us and say goodbye to Theo. We will take time over the next couple of days to personally thank friends who travelled a distance to be with us. It was really touching and comforting.
I am extremely proud of my husband for being able to stand up today and speak on behalf of the two of us. He has been so brave and supportive throughout our journey and I know our bond is even stronger. I know Theo would be very, very proud of his daddy. One of the hardest parts of today was watching Gary get dressed for the funeral. It was one of the most upsetting moments and I just felt so sorry for him. I never thought we would ever have to prepare for our own child's funeral and sometimes it is the less obvious moments that are the hardest.
Gary and I have made the decision that tonight will be our last posting on our blog. It makes me sad to say that as it kind of feels like goodbye. The blog has been a distraction, a record of events and also a huge support to ourselves but it is time to get on with the next part of our journey. I feel that the next bit will, in someway, be the hardest and I don't know how we get on with 'normal' life as there is now a huge void and nothing will ever be the same. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for sharing this journey with us and I know the blog will be read a hundred times by ourselves over the years as will your kind and comforting comments.

To our beautiful and brave son Theo,
May you be in peace now with the angels.
Forever in our hearts and always in our thoughts.
We love you to heaven and back...
Love mummy and daddy xxx

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for allowing us to share the most intimate moments of a remarkable wee life. The dignity and courage you both have shown throughout has been inspirational, and we feel truly honoured to call you our friends.
    Here for you, as always, Jude and Neil x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola and Gary,
    We can only begin to imagine how difficult yesterday would have been for both you and your families. Thank you for sharing your brave peerie boy's story. We are so privileged to have been following you on your journey and wish you much love as you move through the coming weeks and months. Theo will sure to be your guardian angel as you go.
    You truely are both amazing people and we love you very much.
    Jane and Ian xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nic and Gary
    Darren and I spoke with Jason earlier tonight and he told us about little Theo. I have just read your blog from start to end and all I can say is what a remarkable wee fighter he was, as are the two of you.

    You are in our thoughts and prayers, much love, Nicole and Darren, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicola & Gary,
    What a fitting tribute the service was yesterday to your beautiful son. The words Gary spoke will stay with me forever. Thank you both for letting me share in Theo’s journey – his strength of personality shone through every date as you wrote, as did your love for him. I’ll be here for you every step of the way in the weeks ahead, and will think of Theo often.
    With much love, Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Nicola and Gary and family
    Yesterday's farewell service for your beautiful wee baby Theo was a fitting tribute.
    As you sat with your family and held on to each other, we also gathered together to help hold you.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    All my love Kathleen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. As above, what a lovely tribute to Theo, I've seen nothing like it, beautiful. Gary & Nicola, thankyou for allowing us to say our goodbye's to your beautiful son Theo. God bless his wee soul, wee mite. Love to him, you and your family. There for anything you need. Colin, Alison, Alyx & Fraser XXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for letting us share in your journey. I have not been able to stop thinking about you all and although we could not be there for you, thank you for the opportunity to contribute to the fantastic work that Edinburgh sick kids does. As you say, wee Theo is laughing and playing with the angels now. Arohanui always Debbie & Suli x

    ReplyDelete