Saturday 24 January 2009

23.1.09


Mum here. Gary away to the supermarket for Guiness and curry accompaniments. We are trying to relax and spend a Friday night as we might usually eg food and good film perhaps.
We visited Theo this afternoon and the surgeons had been round in the morning to 'squeeze' a wee bit more in. It is shrinking all the time and what was bigger than his head is now relatively small and so encouraging to see. Feel so sorry for wee Theo getting all those bits squashed into his wee body but I know they are trying their best to get as much in for his own good in the long term. We are meeting with the surgeons tomorrow morning as they are talking about taking him into theatre on Monday (unfortunately Lucas's bday) and putting another sack around it which they use for burns patients and also taking a small bit of his skin to grow in a lab. They will only need about 3/5mm of skin although I'm not sure where they would take this from. It terrifies me the thought of doing anything else to him as I am so enjoying seeing him look better and I just want him here and well. Just the hardest thing as a mum to think of this agonising start to life he has had when he should really still be in my tummy safe and secure or at home with his family.
The good thing was he was really awake today and was looking around his incubator and trying to focus on Gary and I. His eyes were more relaxed today instead of rolling around so he looked more like I remember him from when he was born. He definitely has 'wise eyes' and you can just tell he knows more than he is letting on! We have now had 2 messages from friends saying that the song 'Wires' by Athlete reminds them of our situation especially the line where it says 'I see it in your eyes, you'll be alright'. If you get a chance you should listen to the lyrics as it is pretty powerful and was written after the singers baby was born prematurely and was in intensive care. We looked at Theo's eyes today and got that exact feeling. We know our gorgeous son was trying to tell us the same thing x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicola,

    I have just caught up on Theo's progress. I have had a good old cry - mostly for what Theo and yourselves are going through - but also because it brought back so many memories of Anna's time in PICU.

    I will be watching Theo's blog avidly to find out how things are progressing and whether the op will be going ahead on Monday. You seem to have a wonderfully dedicated and talented surgical team on Theo's side.

    I am sending lots and lots of love to all of your lovely family. I only wish that I could do something more practical.

    Janie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys
    Hope meeting went well this morning with surgeons and you feel strong and positive. It was lovely to hear you describe your special time with Theo when he was awake and responsive. Amazing bonding moment :-)

    'Wires' is it! I totally agree.

    Like Janie, wish I could do something practical to help. Please don't hesitate to ask - anything!

    Much love and huge hugs
    Laura

    ReplyDelete